More than 500 years ago Johannes Gutenberg had the dream of being able to print a book in just a couple of months, instead of the several years that it took to copy it by hand.
Little did he know that this revolutionary contribution would give a turn to history and change the rules of the game. It is estimated that following the innovation of Gutenberg’s printing press, the European book output rose from a few million to around one billion copies within a span of less than four centuries.
This printing process gave access to a new level of knowledge, and enabled later generations to preserve in a better way the knowledge and customs that were previously transferred by generations verbally.
The printing industry has always been a determining factor for our society; not only for the reproduction of art or text books; but it also has influenced the way of doing business.
Many things have changed since the printing of that first book. The development of the online world has opened new opportunities for print shops; allowing them to interact with your print materials in a whole new way, with only a few clicks of the mouse, reducing the time and energy spent creating the materials.
What is Web2Print?
Web2print (also known as “Web-to-print”, “Remote Publishing” or “Print e-Commerce”) refers to the practice of doing print business, using web services in the production of commercial printing; where customers can choose, design, customize and order printed items via online, without the need to leave their home.
In the Web2Print process the company creates pre-defined templates that are then posted online for customization with the help of an online platforms. With these tools, the consumer gets the possibility to edit the templates by changing fonts, colors, text even the images and getting a print ready artwork that is sent automatically to printing machines. All this without the intervention of a graphic designer.
What are the Advantages?
Web2Print offers many benefits that can help your business grow, by creating a simple and efficient process for you and your customers:
- People are able to purchase remotely, no matter where they are.
- Templates allow customizing content (fonts, colors, text, image) without the intervention of a graphic designer, reducing the production cost.
- The customer can approve the materials without the waste of time of a face-to-face meeting.
- Enables companies to save money, storage space, and minimizes wastage by getting printed products on demand, maintaining less of an inventory.
- Reduce administrative costs by eliminating the multiple steps that normally go into a print order process integrating purchasing, shipping, and billing all in one step.
Web2print applications have become a new market for printers who want to use technology to make their production more efficient and in the same time providing their customers with a stable way to consistently access, customize, and print what they need when they need it.